This article provides steps on adding roles to a project, placing a person in a role, and creating the appropriate allocation all from the Projects Gantt. Additional resources are provided for managing Gantt settings and roles that are impacted by project phases.
Table of Contents
- Gantt Settings
- Add a Role to a Project
- Remove a Role from a Project
- Add a Role Using Phase Dates
- Editing Roles
- Editing Phase Dates and Impacted Roles
- Place a Person
- Editing and Deleting Allocations
- Custom Allocations
- 0% Allocation
Customize the Project Gantt view to help condense relevant information. Learn more about Managing Gantt Settings here.
Add a Role to a Project
Any Roles that have been created in the Project Settings can be added to a project.
- Select the button under the project roles.
- Select a role in the Add a Role window. Add a role note if needed.
- Update the Start/End Dates, Allocation %, Phase Allocation and Copies of a Role accordingly.
- Click Save to confirm the changes. The new role will appear under the project.
Remove a Role from a Project
- Select the Edit Role icon that will appear beside the role.
- Select Remove Role.
Add a Role Using Phase Dates
Roles can also be set up using phase dates if the project has phases. Learn more about adding a role to a project using phase here.
- Select an existing Role, which will open the Role panel.
- The Role type, Start Date, End Date, and Allocation % can be edited from here.
Editing Phase Dates and Impacted Roles
- Select the project's color bar
- Adjust the dates in the "Project Phases" section
- When modifying existing phase dates, click Save and an edit modal will open outlining all of the potential impacts:
Decide how to handle changes to the project, phase, and role dates.
Place a Person
- Select the unfilled roll, which will open the Place a Person modal.
- Select a person from the list.
- The list of people will default to the selected role. This list can be further filtered by applying additional filters or using the search bar.
- Once a person is selected, their name will appear at the bottom of the window. Click Save to confirm.
Editing and Deleting Allocations
- Select an existing filled Role.
- The Start-date and End-date for the allocation can be edited from here
- If a person needs to be removed from the role, click on the X beside the person's name.
- A confirmation message will appear.
- Select Remove to confirm the change.
Allocation start and end dates can be adjusted from the People Profile > Projects tab by selecting the Edit icon .
If a person's allocation needs to be removed entirely from a project, select their bar from the Gantt view > Visit Profile by selecting their photo icon > select the Remove from project button under the Projects tab.
- With View Roles enabled in the Gantt settings, select the Gantt bar to view more information on the person in the role.
- Select the person's photo to visit their profile.
- Select the required project.
- In the Roles section, scroll to the requested role.
- Click the Edit Allocation% icon under the % column. Custom allocation percentages can be adjusted by selecting the View Breakdown icon and then selecting the Edit Allocations icon
- The allocation can be updated by changing the percentage or selecting the Customize icon , which will open the Customize Allocation window.
- Select the Allocation breakdown - Custom Range, Monthly, or Weekly.
- Allocation breakdown by Phases will be an option if the project has phases.
- Modify the allocation values accordingly.
- Select Save to confirm.
The following video demonstrates how to create a custom allocation using Custom Range:
Some roles aren't necessarily required for a continuous period of time on a project. When a role is set to 0% allocation, this means that the role is not required on the project at that time. Click here for steps on setting up a 0% allocation.